The Olancha Cartago Fire Department started in 1959 as an idea among several neighbors wanting to better protect their communities from the dangers of fire. So in 1961 by a vote of the residents, the Olancha Community Services District Fire Department was formed. Their District charter allowed them to provide fire and rescue services to their community and the surrounding areas that were previously
unprotected . Starting with an old tow truck chassis and a donated building from the early PPG glass plant, the OCFD was started. Since then, many changes have taken place. The department continues to train, grow and expand its capabilities to better serve our communities and the surrounding area.